For beginners in search engine optimization (SEO) you need to understand that there is no magic to make your site on the first page of Google, Bing or Yahoo. This is done in search engines by complex algorithms and it takes a lot of effort to ‘convince’ them that your site or your page deserves the top position.
Before starting if you are new to SEO or if you want to recap check these articles:
However, there are some rules that you can follow to improve the results of your site, I will give you some SEO tips that help in improving your search engine visibility and rank.
1.Title and Description
Page titles are a very important factor in SEO, and the reason is that it’s the first thing it appears.So, in general, be careful in selecting your page title and be sure to add your keyword to the title.
Good practices in selecting your titles :
- Each page needs to have a unique URL that describes the content of the page.
- Briefly describe the page within the title.
- Help the visitor understand what you are talking about on the page through the title.
- Must not exceed 66 characters.
The page description is also very important. It provides users, Google, and other search engines a summary of what the page is talking about. Google may choose to show what you type in the description as an excerpt for your page or may decide to use part of your page content. In other words, it does not mean that what you type in the description will appear in the Google snippet.
Important tips for writing a good description is:
- Always provide a unique description of each page, whether for a product, article or anything.
- The number of characters must be between 150-160 characters.
- Avoid repeating the title in the description.
- Do not add many keywords in the description.
- Try using your page description as a way to ‘advertise’ your page to the reader so that you encourage it to click the page title and earn a new visitor.
Structuring the page link(URL) is a term used to describe the form of page URLs (sections/articles) or individual posts from your site. Shown in the browser’s address bar and in search results (under Page title).
Guidelines on how to build a good URLs :
- Make your URLs simple and easy to understand for search engines and users.
- Use the “-” dash to separate the words that make up a link.
- Avoid long URLs with unnecessary information.
- Add the keyword in the link but avoid keyword overhead.
Make sure that you have a breadcrumb in each of your internal pages. The breadcrumb is a set of links at the top of the page that help the user and search engines understand your site structure. If you are using WordPress there are many free plugins that generate breadcrumbs.
When we talk about internal links we mean the links on the page that refer to other pages within your site which are not external links.
Internal linking is a very important factor for your website concerning SEO.
The rules to follow are simple:
- Link the related articles together either by using the text of the word used or by using the title of the entire article.
- Make sure that the links are both user-friendly and easy to understand by search engines.
- Do not use phrases such as “click here” in internal linking. This will not make the visitor understand what this link is about, use clear links.
- Do not exhaust yourself. 4-5 Internal links on each page are sufficient (create more if necessary) but do not overuse.
5.Content Format.And use H1, H2, and H3
Do not publish articles on your site without first making some basic layouts.
Here are some rules to follow:
- Use H1 for the article title.
- Use H2 for the main title of the article inside the content.This is different from the article title.
- Use Bold or italics to attract visitors’ attention to something.
- Do not use H2 in all headings
- Write small lines as advice or clarification of something.
- Use a good font because for reading.
6.404 error page
Page 404 is the page that appears when a user looks for something on your site and is not found. The default 404 page looks similar to this:
Create a 404 page correctly by following these rules:
- Give some information to the user about what happened instead of showing “not found”.
- Make its design consistent with the rest of the site so that it does not reflect negatively on the visitor.
- Give the user options to navigate to other pages within your site.
7.Optimize your images
Images are sometimes necessary to enhance user experience but you should take care of some side effects of using images such as problems with page load speed or slow response of the site. So If you decide to use images, check the following:
- Use alt text to describe the image. You can add keywords to describe the image but do not overdo it.
- Use keywords in image file names (separated by dashes). Avoid using names such as image1.jpg or person1.jpg. Instead, use names that have a meaning with dashes. For example football-shoes.jpg
- Make all image files in a custom folder on your site.
- Optimize image size. Reduce image size which will make your site faster.
How can you address slow page loading?
- Optimize the size of all images.
- Use caching service. (I personally use WP Super Cache)
- Go to http://www.webpagetest.org and test your website speed.
- Go to the Google page speed insights, a service to analyze your site and get tips on how to increase performance.
There are a lot of searches done every day on mobile devices. Many studies show that the number of smartphone searches is increasing, especially when it comes to online purchases.
I am sure that if you have a look at your analytics data you will see a good percentage of daily visits coming from mobile.
So make sure that your website is responsive.
These are not the only things to do when we talk about SEO.we have also :
- Creating Sitemaps.
- New and high-quality content.
- checking external links.
- Webmasters tools
And more, but I wanted to highlight on some tips that you can start with. and in other articles, i will go into other tips and how to work with.